Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cereal legends


Class is in session boys and girls, for a class from The Skool Of Old.  If you lived through the 80s as a kid or were ever a couch potato in the 80s  for Saturday morning cartoons im sure you will remember these next three guests.  The monsters cereal or better known as Boo-berry, Frankenberry and Count Chocula.

I think that fact that the cereal was comprised of monsters made it popular especially targeting boys from the 4 to 10 age, and probably older,  hell Iv seen boo-berry a few times at the store and I just have to buy it for nostalgia purposes, not to mention the cereals not bad tasting at all.

I was a huge fan of this cereal as a kid especially Boo-berry, though I have to admit that Mr. Franken gave the ghost with a most a good run for his money.  Count Chocula was never all that big to me I guess mainly because there was so many other chocolate cereals out on the market. Freddy you and your chocolaty pebbles won me over!

So a quick History lesson from these ledgands,  the monster brand of cereals from general mills was brought to us in the early 70s, I think 1971.  Over the years the monsters changed in appearance, to make them less spooky. Here is a quick bit of trivia history that you can take back with you and chew, there was actually another monster that was part of the monster cereal collection.  Fruit Brute (1974) is a werewolf. He was discontinued in 1982. A Fruit Brute box shows up occasionally in Quentin Tarantino movies. It appeared in Pulp Fiction (a scene in which Vincent calls Lance on his cell phone, Lance is eating a bowl of Fruit Brute), and Reservoir Dogs(in Mr. Orange's apartment).

I think its easy to say that the public as well as me were more fans of Frankenbearry and Boo-berry then they were of the count.  These two even have there own home pages of all things.  I believe there might be a few old school commercials there as well to check out and maybe have flash back trips.  

What ever happened two these cereal legends and how did they loose there popularity,  how is it that the fat ass cooks from the cinnamon toast crunch commercials are still around but finding a box of boo-berry is almost as hard to find as a cat walking around a Chinese food market. Monster cereal I salute you and hope this small article pays you guys some sort of tribute.



No comments:

Post a Comment